[AT] Spam> Was: (OT)Neat jack idea, , Now: lawsuits for stupidity

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Jan 14 11:32:01 PST 2008

LOL!  That's the read everyone has on this, Alan.  My SIL is representing
the company that made the jack stand.  He feels for the widow and her
family, but the man did a really dumb thing -- not once, but twice -- before
it caught up with him.  He had one pair of jack stands.  He had two similar
cars jacked up in exactly the same way with one jack stand each (No-No).
The lady is suing for millions.  Limits of liability are probably around
$300,000.  I saw the 3-D computer animation that the company paid for to
show the stupidity of the situation.  Not a pretty scene, but if the case
goes to trial, who knows what will happen.  When the car fell, the jack
stand took chunks out of the concrete floor before collapsing.  It collapsed
because the head of the stand slipped off the wishbone, drove the stand
through sheet metal until it encountered an impediment (engine or
transmission) and then the shock of the falling car broke the ratchet of the
jack stand.

My SIL expects the case to be settled out of court.  Why on earth the guy
was UNDER the car, is anybody's guess, but there was a wrench at the scene
that fit certain of  the bolts and nuts.

Larry