[AT] Tulare, CA April 19 & 20, 2008 show

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Mon Jan 14 08:34:05 PST 2008

>The Tulare, CA April 19 & 20, 2008 show is featuring Allis Chalmers
>(will be one of two annual Gathering Of Orange shows; the other will
>be Portland, IN, Aug 20 - 25, 2008).
>We are considering flying out; could also visit Barbara's kin near
>Sacramento.       I understant it is one of biggest shows in the West.

Tulare and Vista are the major shows in CA.  Another big one in the
west is Brooks, OR the end of July and first weekend in
August.  Tulare is always an excellent show with lots of attendees,
displays, a big Saturday auction, a long parade, and also an on-site
enclosed museum.

If you make it to Tulare, it's worth wandering around Friday as
well.  That's supposedly a "trailer-in and set up" day, but you can
just walk in at no charge to watch what's going on, also get first
crack at the swap meet area stuff.

Motels in the area usually get fully booked a month or two
beforehand, so if you're even slightly considering attending, I'd
recommend reserving now.

If you're up in the Sacramento area (three to four hours north of
Tulare), definitely try to visit the Heidrick Museum in Woodland
(very close to Sacramento).

http://www.aghistory.org/cgi-bin/default.asp

Also another good museum not too far south of Sacramento is the San
Joaquin Historical Museum, near Lodi.  Besides the enclosed exhibits,
they have a huge boneyard of rusting tractors, implements and trucks.

http://www.sanjoaquinhistory.org/ag_equip_center.htm

>Thoughts on  pros/cons?                     dos/don'ts?

April Tulare weather is always unpredictable.  Come prepared for sun,
heat, cold, winds or rain.

>Also,  who is considering going?

I go almost every year.  So does Grant Brians, if he can manage to
pry a day off from his farming work.  I also usually run across Karl
Olmstead, John Boehm, George Best, Ira Matheny, Ron Haskell, and a
few more I can't remember names.  Don Bowen sometimes attends, but
probably will not be there this year.

Keep me apprised of your plans, Herb, maybe we can meet up at the
show or for dinner.

Richard