[AT] OT Chevy engine ID?

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Fri Jan 11 09:06:04 PST 2008

There are two Chevy big block engines.  The automotive series and the truck
series.  The truck series is often called "tall deck".  The distance from
the crank center to the top of the block flange is longer.  This allows a
different ring configuration for the pistons.  At least that's the way I
understand it.  The 366 comes only in the tall deck truck version.  The 427
and 454 were built both ways and also in 2 bolt and 4 bolt main bearing
configurations in the automotive versions.

The 454 is  a longer stroke version of the 427 if I remember right.  Also
the 366 is a smaller bore version of the same block.

Charlie