[AT] Country music gripe

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sun Jan 6 06:50:28 PST 2008

--On Saturday, January 05, 2008 9:12 PM -0700 rowilson at wildblue.net wrote:

> I guess I should feel bad now since this is one of my favorite new songs
> :( Since they don't play any "real" country music on the radio anymore. I
> think he's trying to get the message across that he owns the road too and
> he's just using his part and if you don't like it go back where you came
> from. i.e. Urban sprawl. As for moving over to let someone by, maybe he's
> from a state like Ohio where it's a ticketable offense to move onto the
> shoulder with a piece of ag equipment. You might recall a big discussion a
> while back about a guy that was hauling manure or whatever that moved over
> and was rearended by a DUI driver and the farmer was fined for not obeying
> the law and staying on the road.
> Rob

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

	But the trouble is that he is not just wanting to use his part of the
road, he is hogging it and proud of it... ("I'm a God fearin' hard workin'
combine driver Hoggin' up the road on my p-p-p-plower") I don't recall ever
plowing with a combine...   :-)   ("Hay! That's what I make I make a lot of
hay for a little pay")  I never used it for making hay either. The whole
thing just sounds like a drunken baroom cowboy dropping words trying to
sound like a farmer...  Yeah, I know, its just words to a song... It isn't
the words that I see as a problem, its the arrogance and spite that burns
my toast...

	I can tell you for 100% that here in Indiana backing up traffic any time
that you can let it by will absolutely get you a ticket. They understand
that sometimes you can't just evaporate and that you have to keep driving
to the next driveway or road but if you don't make an effort when you can
they will sit on you hard. Son Scott was just telling me recently about
some one getting a ticket for not letting traffic pass for too long of a
distance and that was only three cars. They are even tougher on someone
driving slow commercial construction equipment on the roads and not letting
traffic pass.
	Far beyond any law is the basic courtesy and consideration for your fellow
man and out-growing the 6th grade "them vs. us" mentality...

	I agree that if you ignore the arrogance and just listen from a distance
it is kind of a catchy tune...   :-)   I just like my singers to be better
"grounded"...   ;-)

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson