[AT] Minneapolis Moline grill

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Feb 29 23:07:19 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Francis Robinson" <robinson at svs.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2008 12:17 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Minneapolis Moline grill
 Thinking back, in the 1950's we had in the county (that I
> knew of):
> 2 Ford dealers
> 2 MM dealers
> 1 John Deere dealer
> 1 AC dealer
> 2 IHC dealers
> 2 Ferguson dealers
> 1 Case dealer
> 2 Oliver dealers
> 1 Co-op/Cockshutt dealer
> Today we have zero dealers in the county.  :-(
> Not even an independent used implement dealer. A few years ago I was
> selling a little used stuff off of a lot out on Indiana SR 44 beside our
> store. I used to like to joke about being Shelby County's largest farm
> implement dealer.

Just in our little villlage of around 500 almost every major farm equipment
line had a dealer. The ones I can think of are
J.I. Case
Massey Harris/Ferguson
IHC
Cockshutt
John Deere
Allis Chalmers (Ford autos and farm equipment sold by the same dealership)
This was during the 1950s and 60s. There may have been others that I have
forgotten.
Fast forward to modern times, there are no implement or auto dealers left.
Closest JD dealers are 30 miles away. Case/IH is either 50 or 60 miles.
No grain elevators left and the rail tracks are scheduled to be removed this
coming summer.

Ralph in Sask.