[AT] OT-LP Gas fireplace insert

George Willer gwill at gwill.net
Wed Feb 27 13:49:36 PST 2008

John,

I've built about 50 dwelling units (just a wild guess) with electric cable
ceiling heat and at the time (mid 60s to mid 70s) with electricity costing
~$.01/KWH it was the most economical system to install and operate, if
properly insulated.  I've also built quite a few Rumford masonry fireplaces
using 12" by 12" flues.  I shudder to think of using ceiling heat nowadays
with a fireplace even with that small flue.  That double sided one must have
a flue at least 16" by 16".  Even with a reasonably good damper the heat
loss must be like leaving a window open.

The most economical thing you could do would be to seal the flue TIGHTLY so
the electric could do its job with smaller loss.  It isn't very likely if
the necessary stack loss is considered that the propane heater can save you
money.

I learned long ago that the house should be considered like a hot air
balloon that's too heavy to fly.  A balloon with a hole in the top would
require excessive fuel to fly.  The chimney your propane heater will require
since it's inside your home and not on an outside wall, even though small,
will be much like a hole in the top of the balloon.  STOP THE LOSS HOWEVER
YOU CAN!

George Willer