[AT] energy

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Wed Feb 27 09:21:39 PST 2008

Steve, I'm very aware of the first and second laws of thermodynamics.  I'm
just saying that sometimes it's necessary to live with some energy loss to
obtain some portability in energy use.

As for the 5:1 or 1:1 on gasoline, I have no idea what the truth of that is.
I don't doubt you for a minute  but by the same token I don't doubt for one
minute that this guy who makes his living day in and day out in a 3
gereration old family business knows what he's talking about too.  It could
be, as you said, that something got lost in the translation.  Again, I'm not
trying to argue with you or George.  In  fact I agree with you as far as my
knowledge of the subject goes.  I'm just trying to learn more and I can't do
that with out asking questions and stimulating this converstation.

You said I was a "bit optomistic" when I said "things" and you replied with
"SOME" things.  Last time I checked the word "things" does not imply a
number or percentage.  It is just that things and that is what I meant.  I
did not say or imply ALL things or MOST things.  I can't help what you
inferred.

As far as wood chips burning (or not) after the sugars are cooked out of
them, paper burns doesn't it?

Finally I will take you and George to task on one thing and it's just a fine
technical point.  The energy that is in crude oil (base for gasoline), coal,
wood or any other fuel source did not get there magically.  It has just been
stored there for a very long time and we get to use it for what it costs us
to dig it up.  The laws of thermodynamics apply here too.  There is no free
lunch.  What goes around comes around and all of it is still here in some
other form.
I can cut a tree down and cut it into fire wood with a couple of gallons of
gasoline.  I can burn that wood in my heater and keep warm for many days but
it took about 100 years of absorbing CO2 and other nutrients to make that
tree.  It's no different with oil, coal or any other "fuel source".  I know
you are both aware of that but it didn't come across clearly in the previous
post.

Charlie