[AT] The disappearing past

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sun Feb 24 08:14:43 PST 2008

CEE VILL wrote:
> As a boy, we lived in NYS about five miles from a state school for
> boys that was an Ag. set up.  It was a large complex and consisted of
> several farm operations on the campus.  I recall hearing of the pig
> farm, the dairy farm, etc. I do not know the land amount, but I have
> no doubt it was 150 to 200 acres with several complexes of houses and
> barns.  The incarcerated youth worked these farms and produced all of
> the food for the facility and probably more along with being schooled
> part of the day. A group of boys would be assigned to live in a house
> at each farm.  There was also another large confinement building
> which housed many boys who may have had problems which would preclude
> them from living on one of the farms. Bad boys from statewide were
> brought to this facility.  The operation provided a good number of
> jobs for area residents.  It was believed that being close to animals
> and farming gave many aimless youth a sense of self worth.
>
> Sometime probably around 1970 it was decided or ruled that this was
> forced labor and must cease.  The farms were closed down and in time
> the buildings pretty much went to ruin. The main complex still
> operates as a state school and houses many youth. Some 8 or 10 years
> ago, a prison type fence with razor wire top was installed around the
> complex, due to the violent nature of some of the inmates.
>
> Yes, things have changed.
>
> Charlie in WNY

Gee Charlie, You mean they went to a farm, learned how the farm
operated, how to plant and raise crops, how to harvest and then use the
crops to support themselves and provide more for others?

Sounds like Cornell or SUNY Cobleskill to me, except you have to PAY
through the nose to attend either of those schools...

Reminds me of the old Montgomery county home for the aged. It was
originally a fully operational farm and the people who moved there would
work in the fields if they wished. They had cattle, horses and raised
crops to feed them. Plus they had some nice gardens where they grew food
for themselves and even held a small "farmers market". Then the county
decided that this was improper treatment for the old folks (who, if
anyone bothered to ask, Loved the place and liked having the work to do)
and they shut down the farming parts. The place went from actually
making money to being a typical old folks storage facility. Then it was
closed by the county. It has since been CLAIMED by a bunch of Mohawk
Indians, who sell the typical "hand made" trinkets. The place could be
self sufficient but they get enough handouts that they don't bother.

--
Steve W.
Firefighter,EMT