[AT] Rail cars.

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Sat Feb 23 14:03:03 PST 2008

One problem is that we have allowed about 40% of the rails (I forget the
exact number I heard last week) to be removed.  I doubt if they will ever
return.  The speed (or lack of speed) of rail just doesn't work well with
modern inventory control systems.  They are running a TV ad lately that says
railroads can haul a ton of freight  143 miles or something like that on a
gallon of fuel.  If that is true why does it cost around $1000 to send your
car from the NE to FL on AmTrack?

Charlie