[AT] quiet list(wheat prices)

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Feb 22 17:46:28 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Francis Robinson" <robinson at svs.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 3:30 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] quiet list(wheat prices)

> I think there is little doubt that eating (one of my favorite activities)
> is going to be much more expensive over the next few years..
> Beef will probably go through the roof (even fork lift cows) because of
> high cost feed.

In fact the beef and hog business is in serious trouble here, mainly due to
high grain prices. It doesn't make economic sense to put expensive grain
into cattle when the market prices for that beef on the hoof is as low as it
is now. Same for hogs. There are some big "hog factories" here in Sask. that
are feeling the pinch too.
Of course I doubt this makes much difference when the consumer buys their
meat over the counter as from what I see, those prices are still way up
there.
Generally, when the grain side of farming is doing good, the livestock side
is suffering. Been that way for years.

Ralph in Sask.