[AT] quiet list(wheat prices)

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Feb 22 01:30:14 PST 2008

--On Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:50 PM -0600 Ralph Goff
<alfg at sasktel.net> wrote:

> [...]

======================================

	I think there is little doubt that eating (one of my favorite activities)
is going to be much more expensive over the next few years. With food cost
quickly leaping to the front page news classification people will be
looking for quick answers. I'll bet you a dollar to a donut (well, it may
take several dollars to buy a donut) that one quick boom will happen in
home gardening this spring. Buy your seed early if you garden or you may
have to scramble to find it. Some people will run out and spend more
setting up for first time gardening than they could save in 10 years but
they will still do it. We "are" a reactionary society. This might be a good
year to be in the gardening supply business.
	Beef will probably go through the roof (even fork lift cows) because of
high cost feed. There is a huge number of unused plots of ground across the
country that have been just mowed for years that will suddenly find
themselves fenced and growing from 1 to 10 head of freezer beef.
	A lot of people may rediscover that sheep (which can thrive on grass alone
and grow to market size in one season) are an edible critter. No wintering
over except for brood stock. Of course pigs don't have to winter over but
require a lot more than grass to do well. Demand for baby chicks may be
extremely high this spring as the public reacts to being battered with news
reports of expensive food. Meat chickens raised in "chicken tractors" can
be a cheap way to have low cost meat again without wintering over on costly
feed.
	If you are not familiar with chicken tractors there is a picture of one
here:
<http://www.ibiblio.org/farming-connection/grazing/pastpoul/resource.htm>
	They are typically moved the length of the cage once or twice a day and in
many cases meat birds are given nothing else but water. I guess if you had
a really old one you could call it an "antique tractor"...   :-)

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA