[AT] quiet list(wheat prices)

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Feb 22 13:41:30 PST 2008

--On Friday, February 22, 2008 11:57 AM -0600 Ralph Goff <alfg at sasktel.net>
wrote:

> [...]

	I think that it will all find a balance point eventually. It will be much
like the way many of us over many years have switched heating fuel types
several times. Unless something goes silly we tend to chug along with it as
long as our system is working good. When the heating system needs replacing
we then look at what is the best choice at that time. When things go silly
everybody puts in a woodstove...   :-)
	High grain prices will throttle down ethanol but when they drop back down
to a level that will pencil out then it will pick up again. The main thing
is that we need to develop a whole bunch of options instead of putting all
of our eggs in one basket (especially a basket that somebody else owns).
There is not nor should there be any one energy answer but instead a flock
of options and the fewer of those that Mega McGreedy can run through a
meter the better.

	I do worry about some of these guys that are spending a million dollars of
borrowed money to re-equip a big operation and paying for the stuff over 6
or 7 years. This paper house could burn down in two years and while I don't
expect corn to ever see $1.50 again in my lifetime $3 corn will sure
struggle to make payments based on $6 corn...
	This is a good time to do some "reasonable" upgrading of tired equipment
and fix up buildings and infrastructure but a wise man will avoid "shiny
paint/bigger than the neighbor's" fever.   :-)

	I love wood pellets and I am considering investing in a pellet mill. No
meter, no shystery business practices and no wildly fluctuating markets. It
can do a 2 to 3 year payoff between my several pellet stoves and my
neighbor's stove. Some of my grown kids may also end up with pellet stoves.
Its not for everybody but it pencils out very well for us. In good weather
a local tree trimmer drops off 3 to 5 tons of chipped limbs most weeks. We
use them for some landscaping but mostly for compost now.

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA