[Steam-engine] Indicator

Bruce & Marlene Babcock babcock2 at gte.net
Wed Feb 13 14:39:55 PST 2008

Rick,

I have several indicators and, over the past few years, I have been using them on traction engines at several of the shows here in Ohio, and at one show in Indiana.  I have also used one on the 100+ year old engines on the steamboat the Belle of Louisville, and on one stationary steam engine.

Yes, they are fascinating tools.  I have learned, however, that being able to take cards with with an indicator and being able to understand what they mean are two separate challenges.  I am still working on the second part.

One difficulty in using an indicator is to find one that has the appropriate accessories:
  1.. You will need to have a reducing motion to reduce the stroke of the engine to  4 or 5-inches, which is the most that an indicator can handle.  It is possible to make your own reducing motion if necessary.  I made one for the Belle of Louisville because the 6ft. 6 in. stroke was too much for any reducing motion I have.
  2.. You will also need to have the proper size spring in the indicator.  If the spring is too strong, you will get results that are to small to be meaningful.  If the spring is too weak you can still use it, but you will need to reduce the load on the engine to get meaningful cards and to avoid damaging the spring.
  3.. To use an indicator, you must have the engine under a load.  The best load is a Prony brake because it is easily adjustable.  I have used a Baker fan on one occasion.
Sincerely,

Bruce E. Babcock