[AT] TEST? NOW Ramble! (long)

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Mon Feb 11 21:24:45 PST 2008

I never considered that anybody was trying to tell me how to run things,
although I must admit it never entered my mind that you were talking about
domestic hot water. I always welcome any and all suggestions or comments, as
this is how one learns and that is what is so great about this list.

 I have never given much thought to using the boilers for domestic hot water
due to the fact that they are off too many months of the year, and now that
the kids are grown we do not use that much hot water.  As for heating the
shop with the boiler, that was also suggested by someone locally.  However,
once the outside temp reaches over 50 F, I generally don't heat the shop
anyhow.  When I purchased the unit the place where I got it said 80% of
their customers were buying the bigger unit and running pipes to the house
from the shop and heating both with one boiler.  When they say that, they
are probably talking about a "real" shop.   At 24' x24', most farmers would
probably consider mine a small storage shed.  As I have said before, the
overheating is not really a problem as I knew it was going to happen.  What
threw a monkey wrench into things was having three 50+ degree days in a row
in January.  Something I can never remember happening before.

I did today make the 34 mile round trip with the gravity box to the elevator
and got 3 tons of corn, which should finish the season.  I will assure you
that overheating was not a problem today, as we had a high of 10 F and an
overnight low of -4.

Greg Hass
Michigan's frozen Thumb