[AT] Farmall to the fields

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon Feb 11 04:35:27 PST 2008

--On Sunday, February 10, 2008 9:42 PM -0800 Grant Brians
<gbrians at hollinet.com> wrote:

>      I'm curious to ask the other vegetable farmers on the list (I'm
> including Farmer Robinson with his Pumpkins and Melons in this one), are
> you  using more drip irrigation and row covering? We are doing both.
>      Also, are other vegetable people than me expanding? I am having
> better  sales this January/February than in a number of years and am
> leasing another  20 or so acres this spring.
>                     Grant Brians
>                     Hollister California
> p.s. I'll be at the Tulare World Ag Expo this week along with Richard
> Walker  and Don Bowen. My time there will be a high pitched rapid fire
> checkut of  all of the things that I might be looking at in the next year
> or two in  used/new equipment.......

	I'm not using irrigation or row covering either one. I'm just having crop
failures...   :-)
	Here in the eastern corn belt irrigation isn't all that common. "MOST"
years here you can pretty much toss out seed and grow stuff. We have always
treated our pumpkin patch like a hobby where we sold a little Indian corn,
pop corn and gourds just to sneak in a few bucks of extra. Three years ago
we had a small "U-Pick" pumpkin patch that went over very well. Two years
ago it rained pretty much every three days here almost all summer. The
pumpkin patch which was a good bit larger than before was not in the best
location for a wet year (I move it each year) and it basically just
drowned. There was some things I could have done to help it but Diana and I
were both occupied with our two mothers health problems much of that year.
We also could not get hay baled that year due to the rains and our mothers
problems. 2007 was just as bad except the weather problem was severe
drought. The hay burned to a crisp in the field and since I rarely do not
plant pumpkins before mid June (times them right for pre-Halloween sales)
things were well into serious stress and along with the mothers thing we
decided to just not bother planting them. The cash rent for the grain
ground I rented out did as well as the year before.   :-)
	We are approaching 2008 with a whole new fresh outlook and a dumb farmers
optimism...   ;-)   ;-)
	My Mother passed away last August so that will not be a factor this year
and Diana's mom seems to be doing quite well (for 92) and seems to be past
her two bouts with cancer. Diana spends at least one day a week with her at
the nursing home over in the next county east of here. There were (and
still are) 8 kids but Diana accounts for about 90% of her mom's visitors.
:-(
	This years pumpkin patch will be much larger than in the past but of
course still tiny by commercial standards. We figure that after two loser
years it is time for a winner.  :-)   I am also going to be a little more
prepared for weather extremes. This years location is well drained and I
will plant the pumpkins on ridges so that if it does go nuts with rain it
will not sit for days with its feet in water while still small plants. It
is also near the house and barns so if need be it can be "watered" with
some very simple irrigation devices (yard stuff).
	Hay is becoming my crop of choice for the ground I didn't cash rent out.
Again this is pretty small scale stuff. I'm supposed to be retired.   :-)
I have about 14 acres of now well established orchard grass and timothy
(mostly orchard grass) and it sells quite well. I also have about another 6
acres of mostly KY 31 fescue that I bale as well. Most of that 6 acres is
small patches and grass lanes. Some of it doesn't make a lot of hay but it
pays a lot better than just keeping it mowed.   :-)   I may also bale some
back lots belonging to 3 close neighbors that have 9 to 12 acre lots where
they use less than half of the lot.
	We are in early discussion about the possibility of selling off a 5 acre
"snob lot"   :-)   off of the south-east corner of the farm and I want to
plant it to KY 31 fescue this spring and if it grows well enough this
summer I may bale a cutting off of it. I say we are discussing it, actually
it is more like me flip-flopping over whether or not I want to sell it or
not...   :-)   I don't really want to but 5 acre lots next to town are
typically selling for $50,000 an acre here and that would buy a lot of old
tractors.   :-)   I was looking at an ad yesterday for  3.5 acres over on
the next road north for almost 87,000 an acre. In spite of the national
economic slow down this area south east of Indy is still growing great
guns. The huge new Honda plant about 15 miles south-east of me is nearing
completion and will soon be hiring 2,500 employees. They are hiring some
middle management people for training now.
	We are also discussing (again, me flip-flopping) selling the place in the
next county (17 acres of woods, rocks and river with a house and a 30'x43'
shop building, also about 15 miles from Honda). If we do sell both I will
probably just putter with horses, the wood shop and old tractors and farm
"Edward Jones"...   ;-)

	I plan to go to the Louisville KY farm show Friday. Last year my back
picked that week to attack me and after a 2 hour drive down there I walked
less than 5% of it and we just had to leave.   :-(  I am going this year
mostly to look at some wood pellet fuel making equipment a company will
have there. That and I am always looking for hay handling ideas to steal.

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA