[AJD] Fwd: Re: The controversy

J.R. Hobbs jrhobbs2004 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 16:05:37 PST 2008

We would have preferred to have kept it at 112 pages, but based on what we were seeing, and the number of complaints we got that the magazine was too high-priced ??? !!! as it was, we saw no other choice. We are hoping that we can hold the line here for several years, but as energy costs continue to rise, (which raises printing costs, in terms of fuel surcharges on nearly everything a printer uses) and postage costs continue to rise, we can make no promises. It was either downsize the magazine or go to a much lower-quality publication as some others have done, which we simply will not do. If prices rise to the point where we cannot maintain our standard of quality, well, we won't have many choices left. Given the declining numbers of people involved in the hobby, the day may come when even more drastic measures may have to be taken, sorry to say. If somehow every three current subscribers could get just ONE additional person interested in the hobby enough to take the
 magazine, we could go back to 112 pages, or perhaps 120 pages. But right now, the numbers simply are not there, as the old timers lose interest, pass away, or whatever is causing the slump in subscribers. It's not only us----we're hearing the same thing from every type of enthusiast magazine, and they, of course, have the same cost problems we do. People have suggested a digital (Internet) version of the magazine, but that is really not feasible.

kreig <astroguy at nas.com> wrote:  JR,

I am always happy with Two-Cylinder and always impressed with the
professionalism of the research behind the scenes. 2 cylinders, NG, wagons,
implements, people, all are interesting and i read it all.

I was disappointed you downsized the mag. I cant imagine anyone complaining
about $3-4 extra to keep what you had before. Still an excellent
publication.

Keep up the good work and please concentrate your efforts at what you do
best.

Kreig