[AJD] Two Cylinder JD's and Power Driven Equipment

Troy Bogdan tbogdan1 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 6 04:38:43 PST 2008

As a primarily vegetable type farmer, my primary tillage comes from a 6'
rototiller (similar to your multivator).  A rototiller basically replaces
both the plow and the disc and does everything in one or two passes
(depending on soil type and conditions).  We can go from sod to seed bed in
about 3-4 passes.

I have a 1953 JD 70 that runs that rototiller and has run that rototiller
for 15 years and although it takes all 50 horses of my tractor to run it, I
have never, ever had to replace a shaft, bearing or u-joint on that or any
of my other machines.  I have probably plowed well over 1500-2000 acres over
the life of that tiller so far and it is still going without worry.

BTW,  you can see for yourself what this tiller looks like on the back of my
70 in Spencer's "Antique Tractor Bible," I think he shows the rototiller in
there at least twice, in two different photos.

Just my 2 pence,  Farmer Troy