[AJD] Two Cylinder JD's and Power Driven Equipment

Louis louis at kellnet.com
Wed Feb 6 04:13:42 PST 2008

We used to grow about 15 acres of strawberries.  They were on raised beds.
After the picking season was over, we renovated the strawberry fields.  One
of the machines that we used was called a Multivator.  Basically it was five
rototiller heads mounted on a toolbar (4 row machine).  All the heads were
powered by a hex shaft that ran from a central gearbox.  The gearbox was
powered by the PTO.  We always ran this machine on our JD 3010 diesel.  The
3010 handled it real good.  During renovation, the 3010 broke down.  I had
just bought a 720 diesel tractor.  I hooked the Multivator up to the 720,
wow did that ever work that tractor to death. I noticed the Multivator heads
weren't running as smooth are normal.

Here are my thoughts.  The engine on the 3010 runs at 1900 RPM for rated PTO
speed.  While the engine on the 720 runs at 1100 RPM for rated PTO speed.
The 3010 basically has a 3.5:1 ratio from engine to PTO.  The 720 basically
has a 2:1 ratio from engine to PTO.  That is going to take a lot more torque
to keep the PTO shaft running at rated speed on the 720 than it is on the
3010.

Now when it comes to pulling a load (draft) the 720 would walk all over the
3010 hands down.  PTO work, forget it.

With all that said, I can see where you would ruin U-joints faster, since
they are taking a "side" load.  Where a bearing is normally taking a
rotational load.  I didn't run the Multivator on the 720 long enough to find
out.  We got the 3010 fixed ASAP, and got that back on the job.

Lou