[AJD] Two Cylinder JD's and Power Driven Equipment

Duane Ledford dledford at classicnet.net
Tue Feb 5 18:59:07 PST 2008

"Binderoids"-----I'll have to remember that one!

On Tue Feb  5 20:45 , 'J.R. Hobbs' <jrhobbs2004 at yahoo.com> sent:

>This is opinion and experience, not necessarily knowledge on my part. I think the
part about a two-cylinder tractor being harder on the bearings of a belt-driven
machine is bunk, simply because the transmitting medium, the belt, would have
absorbed the shock of the uneven firing, and the bearings would never notice.

>  However, I do believe that on loads that required every ounce of power, such as
a "fuel racks set wide open"  "720" Diesel with about 70 horsepower on a 4-row 707
stalk cutter in heavy corn stalks, they were definitely harder on U-joints than a
multi-cylinder tractor would be. With the "720" powering the 707, getting a year's
service out of a set of U-joints was doing well. When the same cutter was powered
with a 4010, U-joint life was tripled. Some of this might have been because of
slightly different power delivery angles, but I believe that it was mostly because
of the smoother power delivery at relatively high horsepower ratings. And, had the
PTO's been 1000 rpm instead of 540, I think that would have made for longer U-joint
life for the two-cylinder.

>  However, on machines not requiring full power, such as mowing machines, etc, we
never really saw all that much or any significant difference in U-joint or bearing
life. So, I think your conclusions are correct, and that in most cases, it is
indeed a myth, perpetrated largely by the kind of people I like to call Binderoids.