[AT] Trailers

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at pionet.net
Sat Feb 2 09:52:10 PST 2008

Charlie,
	Here in Iowa I had a chauffeur's license issued as soon as I was old
enough.  17, I think it was or maybe 18.  I have been operating a truck
one way or another since I was 10.  54 years ago.  When the CDL came
into being, I had to change over to that license as I operate for
COMMERCIAL purposes.  My first CDL certificate looked much as the old
chauffeur's license did with the exception of the listing of
qualifications.  Tractor trailer, double triple, Hazmat, air brakes,
etc.  I took all the tests with the exception of bus.  Seems like a long
time ago.  I understood the reason behind the CDL was to stop the
multi-state licenses that so many over the road drivers were holding due
to DWI and speeding convictions.  Maybe--maybe not.  I have never had an
officer of the law ask to see my CDL.  Scale tickets, yes.  Shipping
papers, yes.  CDL--nope.  Go figure.

I do get upset when I hear of these "private operations" hauling
tractors complaining of regulations when I know damned good and well it
really is a for hire operation. Probably because I have had to spend all
the money and jump through all the hoops.  Its the same in the flying
business, too.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA