[AT] Trailers

Louis louis at kellnet.com
Fri Feb 1 13:11:03 PST 2008

I have to disagree.  I had an F-450 (GVW 15,000lbs) and a Kiefer gooseneck
trailer (GVW 16,000).  In Ohio I was running under farm exemption,  I was
allowed to go within 150 miles of the farm without a CDL.  I cheated a
little and went to Iowa to pick up a John Deere R that I bought out there.
I got pulled over at the scales by Des Moines.  They red lighted me because
I didn't have a DOT number on the truck.  Then they discovered that I didn't
have a CDL.  I thought that I was going to jail that night.  The officer
kept me there for about in hour.  He called the Ohio State Highway Patrol,
to find out about CDL and farm tag regulations in Ohio.  I was ok with the
farm tags, but not with the CDL.  Anyways, the officer told me to get in my
truck and not to come back to Iowa till I have a CDL.  I thanked him and
left.

When I got back to Ohio, I got my CDL.  I grandfathered out of the driving
part of the test, because I was using the farm exemption previously.

This is what I copied from Ohio revised code.  It makes no difference if the
vehicle is commercial or private.  I think this applies pretty much across
the USA, since the states base their CDL law on federal regulation.

Class A - any combination of vehicles with a combined gross vehicle weight
rating of twenty-six thousand one pounds or more, if the gross vehicle
weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of ten
thousand pounds.

Class B - any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of
twenty-six thousand one pounds or more or any such vehicle towing a vehicle
having a gross vehicle weight rating that is not in excess of ten thousand
pounds.

Lou