[AT] Autos-Was:refusing to replace old equipment

Brad Gunnells brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Fri Dec 19 07:08:59 PST 2008

Well yes and no. Much of it is the way in which we assume the task
should be done. I can't speak for every make and model but some of
the newer vehicles I've had have been easier to work on than some of
the older ones.

I've had to replace water pumps, alternators, brakes, shocks, and
some other "wear" type items on several late model Bonnevilles we've
owned. Those were all a piece of cake and mostly easier than some of
my experience with older vehicles. Did a front hub and axle shaft on
my '02 Super Duty 4x4, it was easier than my "79 F150 4x4 (which
needs those wheel joints again).

Dropping a fuel tank for the pump doesn't sound as easy (I've never
done one so assumption here) as one bolted to the block. So I don't
know if a blanket statement that they are harder to work on is
entirely accurate.

Now if only the parts prices would match that of some of our older

Brad