[AT] Autos-Was:refusing to replace old equipment

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Fri Dec 19 07:24:15 PST 2008

Brad, I'm with you on the yes and no.  I don't have much problem with the
way cars and trucks are made now.  They are for the most part a lot more
reliable and in many instances easier to work on that say mid 80's cars.
My complaint is with what they build and the restrictions placed on building
them.

Here's an example.  When Pontiac brought back the "GTO" name plate a few
years ago what they actually did was re-badge an Australian built Holden
model.  They wanted to put a different hood on it with hood scoops to make
it look like a GTO but the gov't said no.  That would require several years
of testing and approvals.  Well Pontiac was trying to get the little high
performance yet economical coupe on the market to help with their low sales
and couldn't wait for the Gov't approvals for the hood so they put it on the
market looking every bit like every other little car on the street.  I
didn't sell well and now they've done away with calling it a GTO.

Charlie