[AT] OT McCullogh chain saw parts

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Dec 30 17:46:56 PST 2008

Steve.  It is a left hand start (fan side).  I don't think my cap has any
kind of logo on it.  The hand grip part of the cap is square with rounded
corners.  The threaded part is about 1 1/4" diameter.  It screws in but only
about a half turn.  I've never had a problem with it being loose.

It's strange how the thing disappeared.  I was cleaning and adjusting the
bar, chain, sprocket, etc.  I had the saw lying on it's side (both sides at
one time or another) and on it's top with the gas tank upside down.  I don't
remember removing the cap.  I didn't spill any gas on the tailgate.  I put
it all back together without going anywhere or taking a break.  Cranked the
saw and walked about 30 feet over clean sand to where there was a dogwood
log lying in some leaves.  I stared sawing it up.  Just as I was finishing
the saw started idling down like it should which surprised me as it has been
idling a bit high lately.  Then while it was idling it cut off.  I looked
and the gas cap was gone and the tank was nearly but not completely dry.  It
makes me think the cap fell off right there but I've searched on my hands
and knees the whole area where I was cutting and the path from the truck to
where I was cutting.  I even raked through the leaves both with a rake and
with my hands.  With the rake I hit several things that were hard but all
turned out to be pieces of wood.

Very strange.  Thanks for the link.  Jason posted it a few minutes ahead of
you.  don't know why I didn't find it as much as I've searched the web
looking for the part.

Charlie