[Farmall] International 460 Utility

Jim Becker jim.becker at verizon.net
Wed Dec 24 08:32:54 PST 2008

Bob,
The ISO standards are still concerned with "weight" or more properly,
viscosity.  The SAE standard 10, 20 30 etc. are specifications for motor
oil.  They address some characteristics that are only relevant to use inside
an engine.  For example the "W" designation has to do with viscosity related
behavior at low temperatures.  Yes, the "W" means "winter", not "weight".
The stright weight oils each meet specified viscostiy (in centiStokes) at
100 degrees centigrade.  The "W" rated oils additionally meet specifications
at specified low temperatures.  Multigrade oils, such as 10W30 have polymers
added that improve the viscosity index (how much viscosity changes over
temperature) so they meet viscosity standrds of more than one straight
grade.  A 10W30 meets the low temperature requirements of 10W and the high
temperature requirements of 30.  In the early days of farm hydraulic
systems, we used motor oil because that was what was readily available.

SAE standards for gear oil are conceptually similar to the ones for motor
oil but they look at different properties.  The numbers (80, 80, 120 etc.)
are not even on the same scale as motor oil.  The room temperature viscosity
of 90 gear oil is about 50 or 60 for a motor oil.

The ISO 30, 64 etc. are simply the midpoint viscosity (in centiStokes) at 40
degrees centigrade.  As with motor oil, viscosity is only one of many
measurable properties that are important to hydraulic oil.  Any of the good
generic hydraulic oils will be labeled as conforming to stated
specifications.  Those specifications will include viscosity requirements,
which may be in terms of ISO 64 or whatever.  Hydraulic oil for farm and
industrial equipment usually has viscosity index improvers, anti-foam
agents, emulsifiers and other ingredients to improve their performance.
Fluids that are also used in transmissions (like Hy-Tran) also have extreme
pressure additives like are common in gear oils.  Some of these are not used
in motor oil and may even be detrimental.

If you look closely at a container of SAE graded motor oil or gear oil, you
will probably find an ISO spec.  For extra credit reading:
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Tribology/Viscosity.html (even if you
skip over the formulas, look down at the charts.)
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=974
(specific to ISO viscosity and hydraulics.)

More than you wanted to know.

Jim Becker        jim.becker at verizon.net