[AT] Starting Model T

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Dec 23 13:54:49 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Indiana Robinson" <robinson46176 at gmail.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:56 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Ralph Goff CLOSE THE DOOR

> My father used to tell of how in really really cold weather he not
> only drained the radiator on his Model T as soon as he parked it, he
> also drained the oil out. He said that the old oil got as stiff as
> grease below zero and that he just couldn't crank start it. He was
> quite strong but even if he managed to turn it enough to fire it the
> engine was just too stiff to start and keep running

I've heard and read that  it was a common practice in cold weather to jack
up the rear wheels, or at least one side of the Model T to decrease the drag
on the engine for cold starting. Another trick was to carry a pail of hot
coals from the stove out and set it under the engine for a while to warm up
the oil. Not sure what they did about anti freeze though as I doubt it was
yet available in Model T days.

Ralph in Sask.