[AT] anti-freeze

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Dec 23 13:11:57 PST 2008

Hi Larry
As Charlie already said, there is not water outside at this time of year
unless you are willing to chop through a foot or so of ice to get it.
Thankfully, mine comes out of the ground through a frost free hydrant.
Running water in an engine is not possible as the water freezes as soon as
it hits the metal. Even running an engine on weak anti-freeze is risky as
radiators have been known to freeze up while driving due to the exreme cold
rushing through the fins. Of course most radiators and grilles are well
covered up for the winter here. I've even heard of some that removed the
engine fan and it worked fine for the winter. I'd try it on my Super 90
Massey if it was'nt so hard to get at the fan on that one. It rarely gets up
to normal temp even with the radiator fully covered in this weather.
Our daytime "high" looks to be about -20F for today.

Ralph in Sask.