[AT] MF 1135

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Dec 12 19:00:03 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cecil Bearden" <crbearden at copper.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:46 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] MF 1135

> Guess you guys struck a nerve about the old 1155.  I really liked MF
> tractors, I worked on them since I was 13 years old.  Now, when I have
> the time to work with them, I have someone around here who just tries to
> tear things up to watch me fix them...  Then the neighbors tell me how
> lucky I am to have his help.....
>
> Cecil in OKla

A little late but I had to put my 2 cents (canadian) worth in on Massey
tractors. Just finished helping my brother last night splitting firewood.
Source of power for the hydraulic splitter was his Massey 1085. Aside from a
little fuel gelling it worked flawlessly. He has owned the tractor for about
3 years and its been great. Not used as a hard pulling field tractor but
more of a yard/chore tractor. Great hydraulics and steering and those
Perkins diesels run a long time on a tank of fuel. The multipower trans is
handy too and so far no problems.
My own is an old Super 90 that I have probably spoken about here before. It
was well used and worn out before I got it in 94 but still is the handiest
chore tractor on the farm. The old Perkins diesel starts up quick all winter
for feeding round bales, of course a coolant heater is part of the package
here. Hydraulics are slow but strong, haven't found anything that front end
loader won't lift yet. The brakes were worn out by the previous owner(s) and
I have been avoiding what looks like an expensive difficult repair job on
them. The main hydraulic pump was weak when I got it and I replaced it with
a used one that has been good so far. The little steering/pto pump is weak
too but I live with it's limitations knowing that is a very expensive pump
to replace and I can get by with it as is for the time being. Steering gets
a little heavy when the oil is hot in the summer time but fine in the
winter. No multi power drive on this one, just the 8 speed high low trans.
In summary, I suspect these size Masseys stood up well for light duty jobs
around the farm. Heavy field work might not suit them too well.
The big Masseys I can't comment too much on but I do know that Perkins V8
had a poor reputation for durability in the tractors and combines.

Ralph in Sask.