[AT] OT: OWB's Another view

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 10 06:36:08 PST 2008

My take on the situation is as follows:

Although passing a ban in any given community may cause some hard feelings, it is a low cost solution which will be done in one or two board meetings.  Enforcement of the ban will probably be minimal following that, because permits will be denied.  On the other hand, allowing the units with certain restrictions would require ongoing inspections and enforcement of the restrictions.  Think for a moment about the ongoing cost ramifications to the municipality with one plan VS. the other.  The latter plan (permitting) will cause problems and hard feelings also, because the downwind residents will be continually angry.  In this light it is not difficult to see why it happens the way it does.  As usual, the dollar rules.  I should add that I have no personal involvement with these units.

I will go on to say that I frequently walk out my side door in the after dark hours and literally choke on the heavy wood smoke.  I live on the East side of a village and therefore am down wind of the whole darn town most of the time.  My thoughts at those times are that I am paying the high dollar to heat with natural gas while others are trying to kill me with whatever they burn, just to save a few bucks.  This smoke is not necessarily from outside furnaces.

This is not only a winter problem.  Frequently on nice summer evenings we are unable to open a window without filling the house with smoke.  Some folks are sitting in their back yards burning outdoor fireplaces which are nothing more than campfires in a pan.  Often reminds me of a state campsite in the Adirondack Mountains.  Do I complain to the Village or the town?  No!  There are enough others who will do that, and I am against over regulation. That does not mean I like the situation.

Charlie V in WNY