[AT] Fuel prices

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 07:51:13 PST 2008

A couple of us mentioned feeling more comfortable at current prices in
fueling up our old tractors to putter with them than before when
prices were so painful.
It just dawned on me yesterday (some days I am a little slow) that it
will certainly make hauling tractors to shows a "LOT" cheaper next
summer (for those of us that still have an income then). I can squeeze
3 of  my smaller tractors on my trailer and have in the past made two
hauling trips to Portland but had cut it out completely due largely to
cost. Actually there was another reason I quit hauling a tractor to
Portland but cost is the reason I quit hauling to several other shows.
I quit hauling a tractor to Portland because they will no longer let
us show our tractors together as a group. When they did that I dropped
from several tractors to just the CUB in the gypsy wagon so we could
just make one trip. Even then it was no longer an ATIS display.
George's tractor was one place. Herbs was off somewhere else and mine
was over behind some building alone. We no longer have a central
gathering location other than the campground. I just lost all interest
in showing there at all and didn't last year.
I'm a big fan of tractor owners spending a little time with their
tractors and visiting with the folks that are there looking. If I take
4 or 5 brands of tractors and they are scattered all over the grounds
that goes out the window. I don't think sheer numbers makes a good
show. If the tractor showmen would learn how to actively show with
fairly constant interaction with the guest like the engine guys do
then that would be an exceptional show.
There is a reason that a running sawmill or threshing machine draws a
crowd, something is happening... That is why the Girards (sp?) draw
such a crowd. Walking past row after row of tractors many of which
look exactly alike loses its draw pretty fast
If some fool decides that we can't camp together at Portland anymore
(we save them space by doing so) then I will probably just quit going
at all...

--
"farmer"

"Good clean muck never hurt nobody!!!"
Morris Moulterd

Hay and Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)