[AT] Profane propane prices; was Fuel prices

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sun Dec 7 12:53:18 PST 2008

I have used propane for the last 8 winters and have gotten depressed as
every year the NYMX (NY Mercantile Exchange) price for propane slowly went
up.  This year in July it almost hit $2.00.  In August we were offered a
lock in price of $2.52 but they were delivering for that amount at the time.
I decided to bet that the price would go down - and it has to less than
$0.70 on the NYMX since early November. I have noted over time that the
retail price has typically been about $1 over the NYMX price.
Got a fillup in the middle of November and the bill said $2.70 - the price
hadn't exceeded $2.52 before then.  I lost my cork and talked with the owner
of the delivery company and told him my observation.  He said blah blah
blah - there is no propane infrastructure to speak of in NY - the NYMX
doesn't mean much and my company is price competitive.
I think that it is a good thing we added a supplemental coal furnace this
fall, so I don't care as much - $220/ton for coal is almost the heat
equivalent of 500 gallons of propane.
I am interested in hearing more info on propane price from others though.
Carl Gogol - Manlius, NY
Tasty grazing in the Oran valley of Central NY
AC D14, 914H
JD 5320 MFWD
Kubota F-2400, B7300HST
Simplicity 7116H