[AT] Fuel prices

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Sun Dec 7 04:12:28 PST 2008

    I use the following site to keep track of current crude price. The Brent
Spot price is $39.19 right now.

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/commodities/energyprices.html

    Gasoline prices tend to lag about 2 weeks behind the crude price market
and diesel fuel lags from 4 to 6 weeks behind depending on the cracking and
batch requirements. Aviation gas and jet fuel do not follow the crude price
nearly as close as these are batch blended fuels and the batch price
reflects the price of inputs when it was produced. Aviation gasoline may be
stored from 2 to 7 months before it actually reaches the tank at the local
airport. Jet fuels are usually blended in about 1 1/2 to 2 month batches.
    I have been less reluctant to dump a full can of gasoline in a tractor
now, where before I was adding only enough to do the current job. Also
keeping a couple extra cans filled just because I can. I filled my furnace
and diesel tank last month at $ 2.44 cause I felt it was a good price. Turns
out to have been the lowest price here in November.
    Gasoline prices here in western Ohio right now are around $1.54 and
diesel fuel at about $2.69 and one station stubbornly holding at $2.99.
Diesel will likely be about $2.39 by Christmas and gasoline has pretty well
bottomed out.

        Gene in De Graff, Ohio