[AT] 12-volt conversion (OT)

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 6 18:12:12 PST 2008

The reason "why," quite honestly, is because many people think that because
12 is twice as many as 6, it MUST be better to convert it!  And then in the
process they cut up sheet metal fab up new alternator brackets out of what
ever ol' rusty steel they have laying around, and generally cobble it up.
(I know not everybody does a sloppy conversion.  But I see a lot, not
necessarily on here, that do....)

I can see the arguement for converting if the generator, lights, etc. must
be replaced anyhow.  Also as Mike mentioned, if the 6 volt lights aren't
bright enough, that would be a legitimate reason in my mind.

If it "won't crank good" on 6 volts, start by cleaning up all the cable
connections--clean, bright, and tight.  Then make sure the cables are at
least 2-0.  A little thin 12 volt cable from Car-Quest won't turn a starter
very fast on 6 volts--even if it's a real short cable.  Taking the starter
in to a good starter/generator shop for a cleaning/servicing will help a
lot too.

A lot of these tractors have been 6 volt for 50+ years.  It didn't suddenly
stop working right just because it's 2008 now...

Al

.