[AT] 12-volt conversion (OT)

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Dec 6 14:15:43 PST 2008

I will give you my reasons for doing the conversions: when faced by the
prospect of replacing the battery, generator, lights, and regulator on a
"project" tractor, it was actually cheaper to just convert it to 12 volt
alternator. Several of my "bargain" tractors came to me in that state.
The second reason was that I used to plow two miles of private lane,
first with a Farmall Cub and then with a Ford 860. I found out that
neither tractor would start when the temperatures got down into the
teens, and even when they did start and run, the drain from the lights
would get ahead of the generator unless I kept the engine running at
high speed. (and even then, the 6 volt lights were nothing to write home
about.) Converting to 12 volt alternator gave me sure fire starting and
bright lights.

On the Farmall 340, the battery is hung out behind the seat with a long
cable to the starter. I did everything I could to get the starter (which
was checked by a shop and found to be good) to spin over quickly on 6
volts, even in warm weather, and finally just gave up. Converting to 12
volts made all the difference in the world.

The third reason for wanting 12 volt negative ground is so that I could
install a Pertronix electronic ignition. Every tractor I have converted
has had more power, started better, and ran smoother after the
conversion. And I never will have to screw around with those crappy
Chinese points again (and on the Farmalls, it is especially difficult,
owing to the position of the distributor).

Mike