[AT] 12-volt conversion

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sat Dec 6 11:57:25 PST 2008

It can be cost effective to have a 6V generator rewound to 12 volts.  In my
case it was a Delco-Remy on the D-14.  There was no problem getting the 12
volt field coil and everything including new bearings labor and test  was
just over $100.  Change the regulator & coil and although I didn't change
the starter solonoid yet it will be sometime soon.

Keeping the generator avoids kludging brackets to make an alternator fit or
cutting a hole in the hood or having an alternator project beyond the hood,
but an alternator does provide a lot more charging current if you need
it.for some reason.
Carl Gogol - Manlius, NY
Tasty grazing in the Oran valley of Central NY
AC D14, 914H
JD 5320 MFWD
Kubota F-2400, B7300HST
Simplicity 7116H