[AT] 12-volt conversion

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Sat Dec 6 07:47:03 PST 2008

    I have used a Chrysler style alternator on my Case 700 diesel for at
least 30 years. It is a very simple installation with one supporting long
bolt for the bottom mount and the adjusting strap at the top. The 12 vold
battery is direct from the alternator terminal to the ammeter. The regulator
has a single wire from the key switch to regulator, then the control wire to
one field lug and then ground the other field lug. Very simple and clean
installation.

    I fried the commutator on the alternator working ground in the spring
after at least 20 years on the unit. Recently bought a rebuilt 70 amp
alternator on ebay for $19.95 and a new regulator for $9.95 from another
listing. Should outlast me now.

    I currently have this tractor in the shop for an engine rebuild and
repairing a lot of oil leaks. Put new seals in the power steering motor this
week and started some of the cleaning. I bought a steam cleaner yesterday
and now just have to wait for a warmer day to get the tractor out and steam
it down. Tractor has to be split at the flywheel to install a new rear main
oil seal. Flywheel has to come off since it has a 1 piece seal. Been under
the weather with the flu the last 2 weeks, but getting better now, so hope
to make a little better progress the next few days.

                    Gene