[AT] Thanksgiving Day/ now coyotes

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Dec 3 10:35:06 PST 2008

We see them very rarely around here (in rural NW NJ) but when we do, you
can tell the difference between a feral dog and an eastern coyote - the
dog will run with its tail up, while the coyotes' tails are always down.
I don't know about coydogs. But we do hear them often during the summer
- they gather in groups and "yip" for half an hour or so in the middle
of the night.

The New York City papers and news shows had a good time with pictures of
several coyotes who found themselves unwelcome visitors to the Big Apple
last year. Here is one story:
<http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/03/0323_060323_coyote.html>

So they aren't just confined to remote rural areas of the country. If
you keep poultry or sheep, you are eventually going to attract
predators. Some folks claim to have good luck with llamas, donkeys, and
Great Pyrenees dogs mixed in with their sheep, but I cannot attest
personally to any success.

Mike