[AT] Problem with JD 40

John B rustyacres at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 13:22:59 PST 2008

Sounds to me like you have air in the hydraulic system. The hydraulic pump is on front of the engine, with the hydraulic lines passing directly over the gas tank and under the hood on their way back to the hydraulic valve control under the seat. Check the oil level in the valve control unit. The hydraulic system's oil is a closed system that does not mix with the transmission fluid, engine oil, or anything else. If that does not help, there may be a loose fitting in one of the hydraulic line fittings that is allowing air to enter the lines.

John Boehm
Woodland, CA
Visit my web site at http://vintagetractors.com