[AT] Thanksgiving Day tractor chores+trees

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 2 06:38:19 PST 2008

On Dec 2, 2008, at 8:02 AM, David Bruce wrote:

> I've seen a couple coyotes here but many more groundhogs.
> Between the two I'll take the coyotes. <g>

David,

We certainly do have ground hogs, but the coyotes in this area are
still legends for us.  No doubt there are some, but we have neither
heard nor seen any yet. (Finger lakes region of NY state.)

> The bigger problem here is the "long legged rats" (deer).

We have them.  But not as many as back in VA.  They will have to leap
over our new fence instead of going through the holes in the old
rusted out ones.  No problem for them, for sure (the fence is 4-foot
horse fence).  If they try hard enough to go THROUGH the new fence,
we'll have deer mince meat.

>  ... The wild turkey can also be a problem.

We have seen a very few wild turkey around here - 5 or 6 in a group
near country roads.  I'm quite certain that there are more than we
see.  What trouble to they cause?

> ... a volunteer fire chief... was adamant that tossing a lit
> cigarette butt out the
> window of a moving car would not ignite dry grass.

Oh, it doesn't.  Not while you are watching.  It only ignites the
grass after you have left or when no one is nearby.  Just like the
cards in a deck being dealt at a crucial moment in a game which move
around to give you a good or bad hand, the lighted butts *know* when
you are nearby.  That's what I have heard, anyway.  Must be true.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net
529 Cobb St.