[AT] Tractor hauler question.

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 15:42:54 PDT 2008

Charlie, since the advent of OBD-II ('96 for passenger cars, a bit
later in some states for trucks over 8500lb gross) the evap systems
have become more and more complex and the leak tolerance tighter and
tighter.  They rate leakage by the relative size of the opening that
would cause such a leak.  Used to be .040" but went down to .020" and
I *THINK* it's all the way down to .010" now.

My point:  it takes very little leakage on the evap system of a modern
vehicle to set a code.  Some have special codes for a gross leak that
usually indicates the gas cap - my '03 Ford Focus actually has a
separate light beside the "check engine" light that is used just for a
loose gas cap.

Of course, this has NOTHING to do with farmer's 83...

Steve O.