[AT] Tractor hauler question.

Bo mmc at suddenlink.net
Mon Aug 25 14:52:34 PDT 2008

If I`m not mistaken , you probably have a charcol canister located under hood on left side ( drivers side )that is supposed to vent the tank . Most folks has a tendcy to overfill the tank , damagging the filter which in turn causes the vacumn line going to the tank return to suck raw gas into the engine .
Pull off each line going to canister ( filter ) one at a time and check to see if it has raw gas in it . This usuall works best right after being driven for 5 or 10 miles .
My two cents worth.
Bo Hinch

---- Richard Fink Sr <nancydick at pennswoods.net> wrote:
If it is 83 with carb. it will have a vent on the tank small hose
comes up and hooks to the frame. Has a small cap like on it. That is
what is on my 83 with duel tanks.
R Fink

At 11:27 AM 8/25/2008 -0400, you wrote:

>Farmer, is it a Carb or a throttle body injection? Fuel injection
>often has presurized fuel tanks. If it is a carb, did the truck
>come with a carb originally? I would tink that a carbureted engine
>would use a fuel tank with a vent. Maybe the fuel system has been
>altered since new. Also, make sure that the tank doesn't have a
>vent that is clogged up. The vent may be in the cap or somewhere
>else.> 11. Tractor hauler question. (Francis Robinson)> My old 1983
>Ford F150 farm pickup (carbed 302 with auto/overdrive) that seldom
>is driven more than a few miles at a time except when pulling the
>gypsy wagon (usually hauling my CUB) uses a fair amount of fuel. Of
>course even empty the gypsy wagon is a little like pulling a
>parachute. The thing I noticed today was that it had a substantial
>amount of pressure in the fuel tank when I stopped for gas today
>coming home from Portland. I know that some of the later vehicles do
>that but I thought that it was too old for that. I don't rec!
>all my other 1983 (300-6) F150 ever doing that. I rarely stop for
>gas on trips with it except at starting out for the day so I never
>had occasion to notice it before. I was wondering if all of that
>pressure was maybe pushing too much fuel past the float valve? It
>seemed a lot higher than I had seen on other tanks with pressure
>build-up. Is a high pressure normal on that age and configuration
>or do I need a cap that is vented both directions? I'm!> not used
>to this new fangled stuff... ;-)> farmer> > Francis Robinson>
>Central Indiana USA> robinson46176 at hotmail.com
>8/23/2008 1:16 PM

Bo ( Grumpy ) Hinch
Sulphur,La