[AT] somewhat OT--skid steer vs tractor for mowing

Larry Goss rlgoss at insightbb.com
Wed Aug 13 09:59:25 PDT 2008

Lawn service is the new WPA, farmer.  Right now, I'm in Europe spending money like it was going out of style.  My lawn is being cared for by a professional person who got cut from Bristol-Myers-Squib a couple of months ago.  He immediately invested in a brand new ZTR and trailer, threw in his existing walk behind and string trimmer, and he's in business.  He doesn't even want a contract.  He already had a truck for towing, and he has no problem at all tackling my two acres.

But there are two sides to every coin.  I also am very familiar with a larger operation in town that owns seven Grasshoppers of various styles.  He needs that many because the yahoos he has working for him ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet.  He TRIES to keep at least five machines working all the time.  At the end of the mowing season, he will owe the local repair shop in excess of $10,000 for repairs that he couldn't afford to pay for.  He has just one client -- a very large cemetery -- the problem is that his operators spend too much time trying to mow the stone markers.

Larry