[AT] Fuel problems (was Re: Tractor Question - 420 JD

toma toma at risingnet.net
Sun Aug 10 09:25:36 PDT 2008

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008, Mike Sloane wrote:

> I drained the 5 gallons of gas out (which took over an hour!) and
> removed the whole trap. I couldn't see any problem but I still couldn't
> get air to go through it freely. To make a long story short, I finally
> extracted a tiny piece of red plastic that was lodged inside, just above
> the outlet to the bowl. My guess is that it came from one of the red
> plastic gas cans that either I or the PO used to fill the tank. I put
> everything back together, poured the gas back into the tank (through a
> strainer!), and the engine started and ran very well.

On my 350 Utility the filter bowl screws into a sump in the tank which is
the lowest point. The filter bowl has an extension on it that extends
about 2" into the tank. This makes it hard for bits of sediment to enter
the gas line. I plan to install it with some filter screen around the end
of the tube. With this kind of setup it would be wise to remove the filter
bowl every couple of years and drain any sediment that collects there.

Tom