[AT] Tractor Question - 420 JD

Dean Van Peursem deanvp at att.net
Fri Aug 8 19:50:57 PDT 2008

Paul,

It is good to consider all possible causes for the problem but the symptoms you
have described are classical JD carburetor problems which are, 99% of the time,
plugged passages(s) in the carburetor. A partial choking will not make up for
the lack of gas feeding to the carburetor due to something plugging the supply
lines. A partial choking WILL make up for a passage NOT PROVIDING THE PROPER
FEED INTERNALLY within the carburetor. Choking cannot provide more gas if there
isn't enough gas being supplied by the external lines. The only other
possibilities are that the float is set too low or you have an external intake
manifold leak, intake manifold gasket leak or partial manifold blockage. The
supply line can be easily checked for blockage by disconnecting the line at the
carburetor inlet and checking its flow rate. The tank doesn't have to be removed
to check the flow rate.  Just trying to save you from chasing other
possibilities and all the associated work.

One test that would be of real value if you know someone who has a similar
tractor. Swap carburetors and see if the problem follows the carburetor. I'm
willing to bet a large quantity of M & M's that the problem is the carburetor.
If I could touch and feel and hear the tractor myself to personally observe the
symptoms, I'd probably change the bet from M & M's to dollar bills.

Dean Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA

If we take the time to count our blessings we don't have time to complain.