[AT] Fuel problems (was Re: Tractor Question - 420 JD

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Aug 10 03:49:30 PDT 2008

I too have a story to tell along those lines: My Farmall 340 ran really
well, when it ran. But it would periodically either die or run really
badly. I had removed and cleaned the carburetor half a dozen times with
no improvement. I thought maybe I had some bad fuel or water in the gas,
but yesterday is stalled out completely in the middle of the road while
trimming with the sickle bar. The fuel bowl was clear, but the gas
barely dribbled out when I removed it. I managed to get the tractor back
to the barn and decided that it was finally time to "bite the bullet"
and get to the bottom of the problem.

I drained the 5 gallons of gas out (which took over an hour!) and
removed the whole trap. I couldn't see any problem but I still couldn't
get air to go through it freely. To make a long story short, I finally
extracted a tiny piece of red plastic that was lodged inside, just above
the outlet to the bowl. My guess is that it came from one of the red
plastic gas cans that either I or the PO used to fill the tank. I put
everything back together, poured the gas back into the tank (through a
strainer!), and the engine started and ran very well.

Mike