[AT] Question about travel experiences for some of you tractor guys--OT

Ivan Cousins ivancou at alltel.net
Sun Aug 3 15:51:53 PDT 2008

John , Great britan is nice ,the language is no barrier . We had a really
nice visit there with a list  member . Some people think driving on the
other side of the road   is really hard (my wife) but its not . And they
have a fantastic system of public transportation  if you dont want to drive.
Much more expensive than other places in europe is the only drawback .
All right I am biased ,I lived there for three yrs ,and been back twice
since but  Germany is a very beautifull  place and my favorite . The
language is more of a barrier, but if you can learn a few phrases you will
find the people very friendly .   The younger the better they speak english
, when I lived there 50 yrs ago it was required in school for them ,although
German was a requirement in the American schools on base . And you got to
sample the local brew , some people think its all dark beer . No way ,
  I wish I could talk my wife into Australia ,I want to go  but the 17 hr
plane ride from here is the hangup for her  . And I'm the one who hates to
fly .We've even spoken with a list member but she wont budge .
   If you want a real language barrier , Japan but there again the younger
one s are taught english  ,or a least they used to be . But its a major case
of culture shock if youve never left the US .
  Myself , I'm a 18 yr  Air Force brat but a Navy  man myself , been in a
lot of other places. My experiences are mine . Where you go/ do is your
choice .Bottom line get away from cities ,meet the locals,try to comunicate
in their lingo,and have a great time .Speak only english ,expect then to
cater to you and it will suck .      Ivan