[AT] Tired??

Paul Waugh pwaugh at embarqmail.com
Wed Aug 27 15:13:41 PDT 2008

I guess Portland wore every one out, or they are enjoying the weather, hummm I guess some are cleaning up from weather also.

I just made a run up to Minot, ND.  I found the wheat harvest to be interesting. I had seen some big combine, but now I have seen some BIG combines.  I saw two pull type combines, which were fairly new (2-3 yr old). I did not know JD was making pull type because I had not seen one in years.  I saw at least two varieties of wheat, but have no idea of the difference (some very light, some very dark, next to each other in different fields). I got very tired of seeing round bales of hay along the road, it makes sense to bale the roadsides, but dang it gets old seeing it.  I never realized ND had so many 'ponds', not as many as MN, but quite a few.

The other thing were the sunflower, I just had never seen 300-400 acre fields of sunflowers before, as far as I could see at time. Some with head standing high, others with head hung over so as to hardly see the head.

I was in ND on a Sunday after noon, when I saw a JD 'D' out in the middle of a large field, the man was checking the rubber tired 15 ft grain drill.  What 60-70 years ago, that is what used when they pulled into these monster fields and tackled Mother Earth. They had GUTS!.

All in all an interesting trip. OK, I have done a cool down from cleaning out a hole in the shop. Back to doing something.

Paul - IN