[AT] 1949 Case VAC is home.

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Wed Aug 20 17:54:24 PDT 2008

Reminds me of the "Edible Bean" harvesters that I ran for a while before I
got a real job.  They were a stock Farmall 140 that was run in low gear at
something like 600-700 RPM.  I don't remember because the tach on the one I
usually ran was broken and I had to set the speed by ear. I do not have
"perfect pitch"!  Every once and a while I had to get "calibrated".  The
calibration procedure was quite simple, the owner would come up and yell at
me for going too fast and once I set the speed back down to his liking I was
usually good for week or so.  We ran something like 0.2 MPH when properly
calibrated, in other words, the other end of the field was a long time away!
The 140 did not have sufficient power to pull more than a few percent grade
at that throttle setting and still run the harvester.  In fact, there was a
2 cylinder Wisconsin engine on the harvester that was for runnning a fan to
seperate the leaves from the beans.  Lots of time to think on that job, 600
acres of beans is a lot of tractor time for four 2 row harvesting machines
at that speed!
Carl Gogol - Manlius, NY
Tasty grazing in the Oran valley of Central NY
AC D14, 914H
JD 5320 MFWD
Kubota F-2400, B7300HST
Simplicity 7116H, 3112H