[AT] ATIS at Portland

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Thu Aug 7 19:46:08 PDT 2008

    Charlie;
    You are missing the point here. Portland is a lot more than a tractor
show. It is a reunion. The ATIS gathering is like a family reunion with
tractors in the background. More of a social gathering of folks from
different parts of the country. Much more goes on in the evening gathered
around our campers than any part of the show.

    Meeting new friends and renewing old acquaintences is a very big part of
this gathering fo me. Easy for me to meet new people in a gathering of like
people.

    Some events need only a name to say it all. For aviation enthusiasts it
is "Osh Kosh", for racers it is "Watkins Glen" or "Daytona" and for old iron
enthusiasts it is "Portland".

    I know the economy has made it harder for some to travel the distances
and has impacted the vendors more than exhibitors. Guess we will just have
to drink cheaper beer.

                Gene

        P.S. Just read the wrapup from Osh Kosh and the final analysis is
that attendance was still normal to previous years.

            GD