[AT] Question about travel experiences for some of you tractorguys--OT

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sun Aug 3 19:52:10 PDT 2008

> If a guy and his wife want to experience a really
> special country outside North America (while they
> can still get around!)--where would be some good
> places based on your fortunate experiences?

Hi John.  I'll second Mike's vote for Germany.

English is understood nearly universally and people are friendly, especially if you make even the smallest effort to learn a few words of German:  Good morning, good day, good evening, excuse me, do you speak English, thank you, please, etc.

Good roads, good signs, good maps, good trains, easy to get around.

Flat-out some of the most beautiful places on earth.  The Rhein and Mosel river valleys, winding through Riesling vinyards, postcard towns and rolling farm fields, all clustered with medieval castle ruins.  Google the Lorelei Rock or Traben-Trarbach or Bernkastel-Kues for some images of that area.  The Black Forest.  Bavaria and one lovely place after another near the Austrian border:  The Koenigsee, the Zugspitze, Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Mushroom cream soup, white asparagus, spaetzle (little dumplings), fresh hard rolls, Schwenkbraten, a big glass of beer...

It's been many years since I've been there but I'd gladly go back.

Gute Reise (good travels)!

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net